Monday, February 20, 2006

I believe ...

----------------------------------------------------------------------
"A shrewd man ought to be able to make a fortune before breakfast,
so that he can do a proper job during the rest of the day."
----------------------------------------------------------------------


Today my Orkut profile reads thus ...


Today's fortune:
You will be fortunate in everything


Okay... I do stupid things and I take pleasure in trivial things! So what?!! It's my life. And I'm living it with zest. I don't do things until I reach the point of being compelled to do them - which is exactly why I'm writing this now (only, the compulsion originated in my own mind in this case).


I believe I'm one of the luckiest people around ... Thank God for that. Do I believe in God? You bet I do. Do I like to worship or visit places of worship? Nope. It takes me away from my God. Meaningless rituals disgust me. Tell me why you're doing what you are doing and I may appreciate it (and you!) some. More, if I concur - but that's not always necessary. So who or how is this God of mine? I don't know. I simply choose to believe. And it's stood me in good faith so far. So what's to prevent me from believing it will continue to do so?



My thoughts, which eventually translate into beliefs, are about the only things that are truly my own. All else have been given to me by somebody, mostly my parents. Only now, there are a few worldly possessions that I can call my own... things I bought from my own earnings. But then these earnings themselves have been made possible by things my parents have equipped me with - education, knowledge, values, and an overwhelming sense of independence.



I once had a friend who stood by me through thick and thin, through good times and bad times, to comfort me by his mere presence when i was down, to teach me to love selflessly, to care, to make room in my tumultous mind for concern towards another being. Our friendship is something that truly belongs to me, too. My friend is no more, but the friendship endures. Through his life and his death (it's now 38 weeks), he has taught me so much. He's largely responsible for the person I am today, and I believe I played a comparable role in molding him. We did complement one another so well, that none who came into contact with the both of us, could resist a favourable comment about it. No matter what wealth I amass throughout my life, I don't know if I'll ever be able to afford bringing another such friend into my life.



My friend is now in cahoots with the 'dearly departed'. I wonder what mischief he's up to, up there. There - where I can reach him no more. But he can reach me. He does! I feel his presence and when I do, I feel blessed.



I now know one more thing for sure ... I have friend up there, who's always arguing my case with God. Now tell me... how can I NOT be fortunate?

No comments: