Sunday, April 10, 2005

English Quotes & Proverbs

Ok, my previous post was about Kannada Proverbs.

Even though Kannada is my mother-tongue, English is my first love. The intricacies of this language fascinate me. I find myself better equipped to express my true feelings in English; this probably also explains why I'm usually at a loss and groping for words in Kannada. So I guess it's nothing out of the ordinary that I've chosen this as the topic for my next post.

To start out with, I've included some of the quotes that have had much impact on me. I will continue to do the same and request your contributions too.

6 comments:

N. Madhavi said...

"Life is no brief candle for me. It is a sort of splendid torch which I have got hold of for the moment, and I want to make it burn as brightly as possible before handing it on to future generations."
-- George Bernard Shaw

N. Madhavi said...

"Man is born to live, not to prepare for life" wrote Boris Pasternak in "Doctor Zhivago".

Let us so live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be
sorry. -- Mark Twain

"Great dreamers' dreams are never fulfilled, they are always transcended." -- Alfred Lord Whitehead.

To win without risk is to triumph without glory. -- Pierre Corneille

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment." - Barry Partner

It’s always helpful to learn from your mistakes because then your mistakes seem worthwhile.
-Garry Marshall

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." --Sir Thomas Foxwell Buxton.

N. Madhavi said...

"If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are."
-- Zen proverb

Anonymous said...

Six months in the lab can save an afternoon in the library.


"Great, just what I need.. another D in programming." -- Segfault

N M said...

This site has quite an amazing collection of interesting and whacky quotes.

http://www.amk.ca/quotations/quotations.txt

fizza said...

faiz...
baayige- baakl-illa.
naaligege moole-illa..